Sunday 17 August 2014

Sam Sunday #57: Summer Holidays Update


We're still in summer holiday mode here, as Tom has two more weeks before he needs to return to work in September.  It's been great having him home for the past month, and we're trying to make the most of being able to spend so much time together as a family of three.  Giles is eight weeks today, and we're starting to be able to get him into a bit of a routine, which makes things easier.  He naps at the same time every morning now, and is able to go longer at night without needing to eat.  I'm hoping to keep on working on his routine whilst Tom is home to help, so that things are in place for when I'm at home on my own in September.

At the moment, it seems like Giles is learning something new every day.  We're getting lots of big smiles, as well as coos and even the beginnings of giggles.  He has discovered his hands, and spends a lot of his waking time trying to figure out how to get them into his mouth, though without much luck yet.  I think I have adjusted to how much life has changed, although some days are easier than others.


In terms of reading, I've made a start on my classics club spin book, Moby Dick.  I did have a cheap edition that I've had for years, but I decided that I needed the motivation of a beautiful copy and splashed out for the Penguin drop cap version, and boy is it a beautiful book.  The only problem is, now I want the whole set! I'm finding Moby itself surprisingly pleasant at the moment; it's very wordy but not at all difficult to read and I'm enjoying Melville's writing.  The pace is extremely slow - I'm 100 pages in and Ishmael's only just decided what boat to get on - but I'm not bothered by this yet.  Hopefully I'll keep on enjoying the book for a while more, although I have a feeling the pace will get to me eventually.

How was your week?

8 comments:

  1. 8 weeks already! They grow up so fast. ;-)

    And, oh no, you did get Moby Dick after all? Yikes! Well, I hope it continues to be tolerable, and I do find that a beautiful looking copy can make even the most daunting of books easier to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when babies start cooing and giggling. Those are just absolute delights to watch. It's funny that they learn how to cry before how to be happy. Wished it was the other way round!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those Penguin editions! I'm a beautiful book makes Moby Dick less of a chore:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's lovely when a baby comes in to their own, so to speak, and really starts developing daily. Ah, it's cute that he has discovered his hands... Just you wait till he discovers his feet! Haha! It took Alexander a while to discover his feet... But he has progressed from trying to pull them off, to staring at them whilst he wiggles his toes, and now to wanting to eat them - fun times! Also, it's great when you're able to get in to a regular routine with your little one, the days definitely run a lot smoother!

    Ah, what a great way to try and enjoy Moby Dick that little bit more! Those editions of classics look beautiful - I can understand wanting more!
    :-)
    Bits & Bobs

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so awesome to read Giles-updates :) He looks way too cute.

    Good luck with Moby Dick, it's one of those books I'm actually not terrified of (though maybe I should be...), and will read some day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You get extra stars: reading Moby Dick and caring for a newborn. Your week was definitely busier than mine! I read Zola, Vasily Grossman and Lewis Carroll. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland was just 102 pages but it took time to figure out all the 'wordplays, parodies, satire etc' in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He is such a cutie! Glad to hear y'all are getting into a good routine, and that Giles has learned about trying to put hands in mouths. My wee cousin (or, I guess, first cousin once removed) is just about at that stage, and it is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry about Moby, but Giles is gorgeous. It looks like he's about to say something very important :-)

    ReplyDelete