Tuesday 15 February 2011

Wonderful Wednesdays #4 (Guilty Pleasures)

Welcome to edition four of Wonderful Wednesdays!

Wonderful Wednesdays is a meme about spotlighting and recommending some of our most loved books, even if we haven't read them recently.  Each week will have a different theme or genre of book to focus on.


This week's theme is guilty pleasures.

What books do you love but don't want to admit you love?

My own guilty pleasure is the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris.  It's definitely a guilty enjoyment because I'm one of those snobs that looks down on paranormal romance and goes on about how they mainly read literary fiction/classics! :P

But I'm a sucker for a good story as much as anyone else and when I'm tired or had a bad day or my brain isn't working properly or it's been too long since my last holiday, I love the pure escapism of these books.  I like getting inside Sookie's head for a while and I like that I know most of the characters before I even open the first page.  Reading one of these, my mind is always taken off whatever is worrying me.

How about you?
I want to hear all about your favourite personal guilty pleasures!  If you want to take part, grab the button above and make a post in your blog.  Then link up your blog below, so I can come, read and comment on all of your entries.

11 comments:

  1. Mine is probably the Twilight series... And its guilty for similar reasons to yours! And for the fact that I sort of hate myself a bit for loving it as much as I do, being as how i'm not thirteen, I have a degree, and recognise that Taylor Lautner isn't the most good looking person ever ever ever! I couldn't tell you exactly why I love it, I just do. It makes me feel better...
    Great topic again - i'm not doing a dedicated post for it as i'll be at work all day so wont get to blog until Friiiiiday now :-( but I will be reading other people's posts with interest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is going to be a hard one, glad i have time to think about it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! I've got several authors for this category . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Sookie!! It's not the only paranormal romance type series I read, so I can't feel guilty about it. My guilty pleasure is the same as Bex's. Oh, Twilight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sam,
    I've never read Sookie Stackhouse before. I've heard great things about the series. I'll have to put them on my list of books to read. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Just Books
    http://sherriesbooks.blogspot.com/2011/02/wonderful-wednesdays.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Bex, Loni chose Twilight too. I really should read them, I've been putting it off because I know I will love them and then I'll have to feel guilty about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just bought these to read :) Love True Blood.

    New follower...

    demitrialunetta.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've decided that loving the books is probably ok, so long as you're not one of those people who goes to see the film and screams every time Taylor Lautner takes his shirt off... oh how I hate teenage girls sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never read a single Sookie Stackhous book, but I've seen a couple of True Blood episodes which I liked a lot.

    For me, my guilty pleasures are YA books about fallen angels, vampires, werewolves, psychics, etc. I like the magic and the romance involved. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Finally.. here's my submission:
    http://www.playinglibrarian.com/2011/02/wonderful-wednesdays-ed-4guilty.html

    Looking forward to this week's theme =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just gave your blog an award! http://vallynsreview.blogspot.com/2011/02/blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete